Nooo I broke it :(

Leeps

I had my first mount that I've been really enjoying using, a Meade LXD75. I tried to tune it up and remove some of the backlash in the RA worm gear assembly, and just ended up stripping and breaking the housing :( I'm so gutted, it was about the only thing keeping me sane right now.

What options do I have to get out of this hole cheaply? I'm trying to find parts, but that's not looking likely on this older model. What might be a cost effective replacement? Is an EQ-3 worth buying?

Help :(

The EQ5 is pretty much the same as the LXD75 I think so you might be able to use a spare part for an EQ5 to replace your broken LXD75 part.

Exactly what is broken on your LXD75 ?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, John said:

Does your RA worm gear assembly look like this (apart from the colour) ?

https://www.horizontalheavens.com/Worm-Backlash-Adjustment.jpg

Wow, yes it does. Surprisingly similar. It's the aluminium housing I've broken, where that centre screw threads in. It's super weak :( This is a good lead for parts! 

The one that I've pictured is from a LDX55 - I wondered if that component was the same thing.

The Bresser EXOS2 and the Celestron CG5 are probably the same as well. Especially the Bresser which I believe is a clone of the LXD75.

These are the worm housings (RA and DEC) from the Exos2:

IMG_20161011_160755.jpg

Perfect, I'll send a message to Bresser and see if they can send one out. I did think their mount looked very similar. In fact, I was thinking I could get their mount and put my goto gear on it?