Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Simeis 147 / Spaghetti Nebula

ShineOn

It's been a while since I've posted but the recent acquisition of some new gear has reinvigorated my passion!  The object in this photo is one I’ve wanted to image for a long time but it’s faintness and sheer size in the sky (it’s about 6 full moon widths wide) have put me off. But armed with a full frame dslr combined with the 250mm focal length of the William Optics Redcat made it a possibility.

This is Simeis 147, otherwise known as the Spaghetti Nebula – it’s a supernova remnant adjacent to the constellation of Taurus. It’s around 3000 light years away and about 100 light years in diameter. The supernova explosion that left the nebula behind happened around 40,000 years ago.

I imaged this on 4 separate nights this week for a total integration time of over 10 hours using the STC Duo filter. Ha and Oiii emission lines were processed separately and then combined into the final image. The details:

312 x 120s at ISO 3200 unguided

Modified Sony A7s

William Optics RedCat 51

STC Duo narrowband clip in filter

iOptron Sky Guider Pro

Stacked in Sequator,

Processed in PS CS5

Simeis-147_biColour_SGL.png

• Like 2