Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

North facing light pollution dilemma

Hi all,

After a break from any significant observing while we moved into a new house, last night I decided to have an extended period in the garden (well, what else can you do nowadays!).

So, my problem is this:

I've mainly used my HEQ5/MAK150/Synscan app setup from darker sites, apart from the odd lunar planetary from my garden which is north facing. It was never dark here (just outside of Donny) but now the housing estate Im on has taken shape, I'm struggling with my new aspect (our old garden was south facing). I don't have low horizon views due to other houses, but have a good view westerly and easterly. Polaris and the usual very bright suspects are OK, but I'm struggling to find even two stars for an alignment. Single star is fine if I use Venus or the Moon or anything else that is 'stand out bright' but I'm finding second star choices from the app after the initial star almost impossible - even Castor and Pollux were hard to find in the finder if they didn't initially get put into view.

Any hints or advice? I'd really like to be able to see something apart from planets and whilst I know it wont be ideal from a light polluted area surely I must be able to do something with the Synscan before selling it and going back to my old dobby days and doing it all manually - which was the reason I got the synscan in the first place - to speed up my observing success.

Thanks for reading.

:)

Thanks Aramcheck - thats exactly what I ended up with using too. The other thing I've decided to use (which I'd forgotten I had) is a red dot finder - which I used all the time with my dob.I think that will make a big difference too - cos if I can see em with my eyes then it's all good! 😀

First of all welcome from Land Down Under

I have the WiFi adapter and using the SynScan APP as well

What I have found, is that after doing first star alignment, using Sirius, I usually use Canopus as my second choice with my SynScan Controller

With the APP, it gives a list of stars it thinks you should be selecting for second alignment, not what I want

Not sure anyone else having same issue I am with the APP, when doing first star alignment, instructions is up and right to save

Not been able to get the APP to do that

I am west and south facing with Bortle 4 

John

• Like 1

@Dazzyt66Not sure where in Donny you are but it is pretty flat, if you can see Venus you should surely be able to see Mirfak, I can see it in the finder scope well before it is dark.

So I currently use, Sirius Mirfak the next one I use is a problem you might have  Arcturus is my third, but it only just rising at 19.30UT. so 20.30. There is Procyon to use a replacement for Sirius, along with Regulus 40° above SE horizon. Capella in the east.

I am in Upton, so look south over Donny and Barnsley(more west) and Sheffield further away, lovely southern aspect apart from the mentioned towns making where I live a Bortle 6, my best view are east, but a clear view pretty much from E to W,

• Thanks 1