Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Semi remote observatory build... DO, or DON'T ?

Wiu-Wiu

Situation at my house is getting worse by the day. I live in the town center, next to a big train station and a sports park. Light pollution is getting worse, and now the city lights will be "upgraded" to LED, the orange glow is changing to white/grey. 

City has no ears to my input about poorly adjusted LED.

Having a fixed observatory in the garden will have to wait until I move away somewhere in the far future. I'll have to make the best out of the situation until then. 

That's why I have installed a pier, so I can setup a scope and cover it, leaving it outside a couple of days at a time. It will save time in setting up and cleaning up when done.

Now, I have been thinking about building a remote setup in a dark location. I could put one of my scopes there, and take pictures whenever it's clear. 

The location is accessible to me (couple of hours away) and sits on a private property, so there is someone there if needed.

Should I walk down this path? I'd love to see some input before starting something and realising it's too costly or doesn't work halfway down the road...

Doesn't have to be costly; My remote build was far cheaper than most peoples home build because you can build much smaller if you're not planning to be inside the observatory!

It does require experience though; there is a long learning curve to getting your gear working well, and it's much harder to make adjustments when you're located several hours away.  You want to be in a position with your gear where you can setup and then control it all from indoors. Once you've got that far then you're ready to make the jump to remote imaging!