NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Power Requirements and Pegasus Astro

Kind of an equipment topic, kind of astrophotography specific. In short, I'm trying to determine my power requirements and which Powerbox to get.

I've been doing astrophotography for a few years now. In that short time, my equipment has changed dramatically. I am just now starting to get to the point where my rig is not connected directly to a PC as I now have a mini PC mounted on my dovetail that I remote into. I'm about at the limits of my USB connections on the mini PC and can find ways around that by using a hub, but power distribution has become somewhat of an issue. More devices means more wires. When I'm at home, I have to power everything with a combination of AC adapters and a DC rechargeable power pack. When I'm out in the field, everything needs to be powered by DC for obvious reasons. Lots of wires all over the place, it's an absolute mess. So first of all, I'm not sure my power pack is up to the task of powering everything for several hours. I need to determine my total load. Here’s what I have determined so far, to the best of my ability based on manufacturer requirement specs:

Mount: 12V/5A (runs on AC, can run on DC)
Mini PC: 12V/3A (gets power from mount)
Camera: 5V/0.65A (USB connection through mini PC)
Camera cooler: 12V/3A (runs on AC, can run on DC)
Filter wheel: 5V/0.12A (USB connection through camera)
Guide camera: 5V/0.65A (USB connection through camera)
Focuser: 12V/1A (runs on DC)
Dew heater: 5V/0.25A (USB connection through mini PC)

So what are the actual loads I need to be concerned with here? I making an assumption that anything USB powered does not need to be tallied up or can at least be discounted as the voltage and amps are so low and they are getting power through something else that is plugged into AC or DC, but I’m also afraid that may be an error in my judgement. I’m thinking my real loads are limited to anything getting AC or DC power, which comes out to 12A. However, I have some confusion when it comes to my mini PC. It is getting its power from the mount, so does it need to be considered in my calculation or not? I also know that 12A is at full load based on manufacturer requirement specs and the only thing that's likely to even remotely be running at full load may be the cooler on the camera. In fact, I sent this same information to Pegasus Astro asking about their various Powerboxes and they suggested my normal operating load would most likely be somewhere in the range of 6-6.5A and added a couple for good measure in case multiple things came on to bring the total up to 8A.

Does that number sound reasonable to those of you who have gone through this before? I want to use this number to determine my run time with my current power pack and whether I need to look at a larger one or a secondary one for longer imaging sessions.

As for the Pegasus Powerboxes, at first I was leaning towards the Ulitmate Powerbox v2, but now I'm thinking I can get away with the Pocket Powerbox Advance they're introducing this month. My only question, which I've asked numerous times of Pegasus Astro, is whether or not I can use it with a mini PC. They didn't address the question directly and just said any of the Powerboxes should work for me. The reason I asked is the UPbv2 has an always on DC connection specifically meant for mini PC's, where the PPA doesn't appear to have that same feature. That being said, I currently power my mini PC through the mount and could continue to do so as the mount will be connected to the power pack separately from the Pegasus Powerbox. The always on DC connection of the UPbv2 would be an unnecessary feature at that point.

That's where my head is at right now and it's still kind of spinning.

I'd say if your DC focuser is supported, then the UPBv2 would make sense, as then everything bar the mount would just plug into the one box?

If not, then the Advance does seem more cost effective (I'm waiting on the Pocket Powerbox Advance!)

I'd connect the miniPC to it too, you might even find you can configure it to boot when the power comes on?

2 hours ago, Yawning Angel said:

I'd say if your DC focuser is supported, then the UPBv2 would make sense, as then everything bar the mount would just plug into the one box?

If not, then the Advance does seem more cost effective (I'm waiting on the Pocket Powerbox Advance!)

I'd connect the miniPC to it too, you might even find you can configure it to boot when the power comes on?

I've had a sitdown and think about it. I actually laid everything out in block diagrams with how it is now and how it would be if I moved over to the Powerbox Advance. It's going to be a lot more cables, but I think it will be cleaner in the end. I would be left with one or two power connections on the Powerbox depending on whether I connect my mini PC to it or the mount. All my USB connections would go through the Powerbox as well.

The site for the Powerbox Advance says you can use it with or without a PC so I'm guessing everything just comes on in some sort of default mode.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buzzard75 said:

sort of default mode

I'd imagine so, yes

I had a chat with them today, and it looks like they are still on track for the end of the month launch. It fits my requirements perfectly, so I'll be grabbing on as soon as Altair get some stock

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Yawning Angel said:

I'd imagine so, yes

I had a chat with them today, and it looks like they are still on track for the end of the month launch. It fits my requirements perfectly, so I'll be grabbing on as soon as Altair get some stock

Got the same info. Just emailed Highpoint Scientific (my supplier of choice in the US) to see if they could give me an idea when preorders may go up.

• Like 1