Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mounting a C6-SCT on an AZ3 mount

Hi

As luck would have it, I may be able to get my hands on a Skywatcher AZ-3 altaz mount going spare. I currently have a C6-SCT telescope with a CG-5 mount, and the OTA has the usual dovetail bar on it.

Anyone know if / how you could attach this scope to the AZ-3 mount? Is there some kind of adapter you can buy, or would I have to get inventive with a bit of DIY?!

cheers

Ian

I put a C5 OTA on an AZ-3 and I had to improvise an adapter to fit between the dovetail bar on the scope and the flat mounting plate on the mount head.

On my C5 there were 2 threaded holes on the bottom of the dovetail bar which were a whitworth thread (same as a photo tripod socket) so I used those to fasten my adaptor to the scope and drilled 2 holes in the adaptor to match those on the mount. It worked OK with a bit of fiddling and the mount was worked well with the C5 OTA on board.

John

Archived