NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Evostar 72 ED

Hi there,

I've got my eye on the Skywatcher Evostar 72 ED as my first telescope.  It will sit on the Skywatcher star adventurer pro, supported by my 3 legged thing Travis.  

What extras would you recommend getting?  I understand I need a flattener (any specific one I should look at?) and  an adaptor so my camera attaches to the scope.   My camera is the Fuji XT2.

Thanks,

Mark 

Edited by Sidecontrol

On 26/02/2020 at 13:40, Sidecontrol said:

Hi there,

I've got my eye on the Skywatcher Evostar 72 ED as my first telescope.  It will sit on the Skywatcher star adventurer pro, supported by my 3 legged thing Travis.  

What extras would you recommend getting?  I understand I need a flattener (any specific one I should look at?) and  an adaptor so my camera attaches to the scope.   My camera is the Fuji XT2.

Thanks,

Mark 

Hi there, I have the same setup you are thinking about, albeit with a different camera; a stock Canon 650d. I use it for astrophotography. A flattener is not a must, though ideal. I use a normal 2 inch extension tube as opposed to a flattener for now. As for an adaptor, you will need a t-ring that is specific to your camera. I bought my 2-inch extension tube from FLO and here is the link to it. https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/2-inch-t-adapter.html

The link to t-rings is here. https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/t-rings.html

This is my setup and the images taken from it. I highly recommend this scope; you won't regret it!😁

AP setup.png

Flame and Horsehead Nebula.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Sidecontrol said:

Looks great thanks for the links!  Is that some sort of laser spotter thingy you have on your telescope there?

Oh that is just a red dot finder to make finding objects easier. I didn't have the correct adapter to fit it onto the finderscope slot on the side so I just blu-tacked it on top.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/02/2020 at 07:51, Nerf_Caching said:

Oh that is just a red dot finder to make finding objects easier. I didn't have the correct adapter to fit it onto the finderscope slot on the side so I just blu-tacked it on top.

Hey just bought this, how long exposures were you getting un-guided with the star adventurer pro?

Just now, Sidecontrol said:

Thanks, i'll give those a go when i get set up.

Oh and mind you, I didn't even have a pole star to polar align to since Polaris is too low in the sky at my latitude, so you might be able to push that exposure time if you nail down your polar alignment!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 26/02/2020 at 13:40, Sidecontrol said:

Hi there,

Thanks,

Mark 

Hi Mark , i am getting this scope on Monday ( they are like gold dust at the moment ) .. done a lot of research regarding the field flattener . It seems that ovl do a flattener which is a lot cheaper than the dedicated flattener for the 72ed . you will need either an extension tube ( as mentioned earlier on here) or a flattener to gain focus when using a camera , apparently . If you are using the scope for visual then a diagonal and eyepiece will be sufficient for focus. I was a bit worried about the focus travel on this scope as it only extends around 38mm but , lets face it , so many have been sold and the scope gets a great review so it must be good . Anyway  the SA is a great little mount for the scope . I hope you enjoy your purchase 

lol just noticed when this thread was posted origianally ... so you will already have had your scope for many months . 

Edited by Stu1smartcookie
added text

• 2 months later...
On 27/06/2020 at 19:51, Stu1smartcookie said:

Hi Mark , i am getting this scope on Monday ( they are like gold dust at the moment ) .. done a lot of research regarding the field flattener . It seems that ovl do a flattener which is a lot cheaper than the dedicated flattener for the 72ed . you will need either an extension tube ( as mentioned earlier on here) or a flattener to gain focus when using a camera , apparently . If you are using the scope for visual then a diagonal and eyepiece will be sufficient for focus. I was a bit worried about the focus travel on this scope as it only extends around 38mm but , lets face it , so many have been sold and the scope gets a great review so it must be good . Anyway  the SA is a great little mount for the scope . I hope you enjoy your purchase 

lol just noticed when this thread was posted origianally ... so you will already have had your scope for many months . 

Hey, I totally forgot I was even on this forum haha.

Yes the telescope is amazing, I have it sitting on a EQM 35 pro now, just waiting for clear skies to give it a go.  I got the OVL field flattener, does a great job and you only see rounding in the very extreme corners, which is fine as I crop anyway.

I was quite unfortunate when I did get my telescope I was only able to photograph the Pinwheel, Whirlpool, Bodes and Cigar galaxies before the light night arrive here in Scotland.  Has been a long 4 months and then the whole of August was literally cloud or rain (seriously!!).