NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Doublet vs Triplet on microlensing comparison ZWO ASI1600mm

retret66

This one was taken at the same time, one is stellarvue 102mm  Access and the other is Stellarvue Raptor Triplet. I think the contrast on the triplet makes the difference over the doublet which has more defined microlensing.

Camera: ZWO 1600mm cooled
Filter: Chroma 3nm Ha

Screen Shot 2020-02-16 at 12.44.38 AM.jpg

Astrodon 3nm Ha  vs   Chroma 3nm Ha on a doublet:

Screen Shot 2020-02-16 at 12.31.43 AM.jpg

This comparison  is for filter distance to the sensor, which will make a difference, the closer your filter to the sensor the less microlensing you going to get. I believe due to the reflection on the filter and the protective glass.

Screen Shot 2020-02-16 at 12.54.19 AM.jpg

Edited by retret66
  • Like 2

Difference between doublet and triplet scopes can be due to F/ratio of the beam - it too can have an effect as well as distance and type of the filter.

Btw, this is something I suspected for a long time now, and often advised people with this issue to change the distance if they can to see if it will lessen the effect. I even argued with some people who maintained that this effect is independent of the filter and is product of cover window and micro lens and as such - always present.

Valuable work on your part that shows that one can still impact effect to some degree.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 21/02/2020 at 10:43, vlaiv said:

Difference between doublet and triplet scopes can be due to F/ratio of the beam - it too can have an effect as well as distance and type of the filter.

Btw, this is something I suspected for a long time now, and often advised people with this issue to change the distance if they can to see if it will lessen the effect. I even argued with some people who maintained that this effect is independent of the filter and is product of cover window and micro lens and as such - always present.

Valuable work on your part that shows that one can still impact effect to some degree.

Thanks, I might try to remove the protecting glass on these camera just to know if this also affects the microlensing but definitely the distance will make a big difference. If this does not happen using Luminance filter, then I could just get luminance shots and apply it