NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

RASA 11 - a one-man-scope?

Ryuno

This is my first post here, I believe.

I would like to ask the users of the Celestron RASA 11 for advice. I have a possibility to purchase a RASA 11"  at a price close to that of a RASA 8. 
I would love to use this scope at my location, because I live under very light polluted skies (Bortle 8-9, VIIRS 51). Intended camera ASI294MC PRO.

My only concern is the weight of 19.5 kg. Will I be able to mount this scope all by myself? Anyone has experience with this? 
My mount: Mesu 200 on Berlebach Planet tripod short version. The height of the dovetail shoe (correct word?) is about 1 meter above ground. That's where the dovetail rail of the OTA has to be fixed.
Or do you think I'd better forget the RASA 11 and , if at all, better get a RASA 8?

I am male 182cm, 68 years old, in good physical shape, no back problems, working out every day.

Edited by Ryuno
correction and extension

Hi Ryuno,

I know it sounds too simple: 

Find something quite large that weighs 20kg and see how easy it is for you to manage it?
A clean dustbin? Or a garbage can? Not sure what you would call these in Japan.
They are only suggestions for something about the correct size.
It just needs to be about the same diameter as the telescope and weigh about 20kg.
You might find something suitable to "wrestle with" in a DIY or furniture store. 

A large diameter, smooth tube is very hard to handle unless you fit lifting handles.
It is too big for your arms to go around to get a proper grip.
I use very grippy rubber gloves but it is still a struggle.

You can use one of the RASA11 dovetails to fit handles or a long, lifting bar.

Edited by Rusted

Hi Adrian,

The one [blindingly obvious] thing missing from the video was a second, safe support placed near the chair.

Had there been another support, which completely avoided a bent back, then the heavy OTA need never be lowered to the ground.

With all the attendant risks of injury from lifting and lowering.

Instead of which the OTA could be carried out from a support of similar height in storage and returned to it after use.

Thank you very much for your answers.
The link to the video helped a lot and calmed most of my concern about the weight. 
I had thought about attaching a second handle to the tube, but hadn't realised that fixing it to one of the dovetails should be the obvious solution.
And a second support next to the observation chair to mount and unmount the scope would definitely help, I agree.

The picture is gaining shape. Thanks again. 

Edited by Ryuno
  • Like 1