Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rosette in Startools stereo 3D

sheeprug

I've always loved loved loved stereo 3D photograhs, and some years ago I ran across the fantstic stereo astro photograps on the Astro Anarchy website:  https://astroanarchy.zenfolio.com/p272573124.

In the absence of a stereo viewer you need to learn how to view them as stereo pairs by de-converging your eyes so the images overlay each other.   It takes some practice - it's a bit like looking at the random dot stereograms that were popular a few years ago.   But once you've mastered it the results are rewarding!   Obviously the scale of the images is massively out of proportion - it rather assumes you have eyes several light years apart.  But the images, while being only partially scientificly accurate,  can be quite instructive and visually stunning.

Anyway, I downloaded the latest beta version of Startools (1.6.386) last night and discovered there is a new stereo feature which can create stereo astro images from 2D images.  In their own words from the online manual at https://www.startools.org/modules/3d

" The Stereo 3D module can be used to synthesise depth information based on astronomical image feature characteristics.The depth cues introduced are merely educated guesses by the software and user, and should not be confused with scientific accuracy. Nevertheless, these cues can serve as a helpful tool for drawing attention to processes or features in an image.   Depth cues can also be highly instrumental in lending a fresh perspective to astronomical features in an image. The Stereo 3D module is able to generate plausible depth information for most deep space objects, with the exception of some galaxies."

So this is my first attempt at a stereo image for parallel viewing, using mostly the default settings.   To be fair the basic image is not without it's faults (its LLRGB, with only about 2hrs of data and I've only just begun working in mono anyway),  but I'm quite pleased with the result.   Note that normal CPU viewing distances the images may be too far apart to easily free-view, so step back a few feet to make it easier. It can take some practice to 'see' at first, so don't give up if you've not done it before.

472351391_RosetteLLRGB3D.thumb.jpg.3f247d17e4874727bfb52b9f417278ac.jpg

Best, SR

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, sheeprug said:

It can take some practice to 'see' at first, so don't give up if you've not done it before.

Works wonderfully well!  With the monitor at just over arm's length, I see a 'miniature' stereo image floating about 10cm in front of my face.  No strain at all, once you're there.  Actually rather hard to get rid of and focus once again on the actual page after a while!