NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Adding dovetail to EdgeHD

I asked R.V.O. which dovetail would be added to EdgeHD 800 and they say if it's a Vixen mount then the bolts/holes are setup for a Celestron Vixen bar on top. Or if's Losmady then one of the Celestron Losmady bars can be used.

However, when I check the position of the free bolts/holes e.g. to the right of the finder (above the shiny label) the holes doen't line up.

I thought it's odd that they don't line up but I also noticed that centre of two bolts/holes at the back of the OTA are lined up with a bolt/hole at the from of the OTA. I have the Vixen mount, but of I had the Losmady equivalent, then they may be using these three holes e.g. getting stability across the width of the dovetail at the back and support at the front?

This would make sense because the same front/back OTA covers could be used for the other type of mount e.g. flip it over and put the Celestron stickers on. So perhaps the knowledge at R.V.O. is the exact opposite of what's required. e.g. need Losmady on top if it's Vixen underneath?

I ask the question because I was considering mounting a DSLR and a long telephoto prime lens piggy backed on a top rail. I'm now thinking I could use a smaller dovetail and replace the OTA with just the DSLR and telephoto for occasional use.

Simon

• 3 years later...

Hi Roland,

On my C8 Edge, I replaced my Losmandy with a Vixen. The holes are the same for both and you can fix either on the handle side or opposite. If you so wanted, you could fit one on one side, and the other on the other to be able to piggy back other accessories.

• Like 1