Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Williams Optics White Cat 51mm F4.0 APO refractor

baggywrinkle

I have seen good reports on this OTA and took the plunge and bought one. The Red Cat is exactly the same but was not in stock in the UK, so I bought the White Cat.. Due to our wonderful weather it has taken me until now to actually get to use it...it was bought early December.

One of the reasons behind the buy was that I wanted a good quality prime lens and this is also forming part of a kit that will be used when I get my small caravan for travel to star parties and dark sky sites. This lens is also cheaper than many Canon ones.

The immediate impression as you unpack the box is one of quality. Inside the cardboard shipping container is a neat carry case carrying the cat logo and inside that the OTA. The carry case is tough cloth and foam lined. All the cutting has been done with precision cutting (routing) tools and there are two spare spaces from which the inserts can be removed.

The Cat is pure quality, solid feel and no rough edges. It comes with a reversible dew shield that incorporates a clear Batinov mask. The focuser is a helical one and supports the weight of the camera very well. You can add a diagonal for visual work if you so wish.

A word of warning: I intended to use either my Canon 650D or 6D or my Sonly full frame 7A. To do that you need to order the adapters to mate with the 48mm thread on the rear of the Cat. The adapters also provide the correct distance between the focal point and the imaging chip in the camera. The adapters can be bought with the Cat. The bayonet adapters also make for a more secure mounting than a side screwed T ring adapter.

The rear of the OTA can be rotated to allow the camera being used to be correctly orientated for the shot. The circumference is marked off in degrees for precise realignment if required.

Below are a couple of shots, Sword of Orion and Pleiades taken using the Cat and a Canon 6D astro modified camera mounted on the Skywatcher Star Adventurer which takes the weight easily. ISO1600 using 30 sec exposures. The mount was only compass and inclinometer polar aligned.

I was very impressed by the wide field of view. Had low misty cloud not interfered I would have been able to see the Horse Head in the shot. I could make it out on individual frames, I think my processing needs working on.

IMG_3783.JPG

IMG_3784.JPG

IMG_3785.JPG

IMG_3786.JPG

IMG_3787.JPG

IMG_3788.JPG

IMG_3789.JPG

IMG_3866.JPG

M45 DSS2 PS.jpg

WF 1 dss ps.jpg

Edited by baggywrinkle
  • Like 2

I endorse all Frank says about the quality of these OTAs. I've had my Redcat for about 6 months and when I've been able to use it from UK I've been pleased with the results. Here's my version of the same area of Orion with Redcat/Canon 550d (unmodded) 90 x 60 sec on 6th Jan 2020

Astrobin_OrionWidefield_LowRes_WithSig.png

• Like 2