NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Book: Digital SLR Astrophotography (2nd edition October 2018) - any good?

SimM

Is this book any good for "simple" astrophotography? Available at Amazon and recommended by R.V.O as well. I downloaded a sample from Amazon and it seems quite good and up to date IMHO. 

Digital SLR Astrophotography (2nd edition October 2018)
Michael Covington
ISBN 1316639931

I wanted a simple way to get into "casual" Astrophotography without too much additional expense and this book seems to have sufficient detail without being too technical/overwhelming.

Simon

@Merlin66 Good to know.

I compared the first edition to the second edition. I searched for "new" things and (obviously) only found them in the new one e.g. RASA, ZWO, Hyperstar etc. but in general I found the sections I could see (at Amazon) were similar.

If you have the first edition and want to see/read the differences with the second one, then see his website and in particular see the new "stuff" link:

http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/dslr/NewDSLR/index.html#Decade

I now have the 1st edition which I like. Not quite at the point were I can appreciate the new stuff - I also read the changes (see link) and (for now) it's a bit confusing ... too much to take in.

It's certainly a good appreciation of the subject without being too science orientated.

Simon

Edited by SimM

• 4 months later...

I went with The Deep-sky imaging Primer, Second Edition by Charles Bracken. It arrived today from Amazon.

It's very informative (to me) and you can't really go wrong with a good book.

One interesting fact, they print the book "on demand". So it has "Printed in UK by Amazon" inside the back cover.

Simon