NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First image of 2020 : The Seagull Nebula (Bicolor Narrowband)

B4silio

A Happy New Year to everyone!

My first image this year and my second image in Narrowband, so much still to learn!

Tak FS60-CB + ASI 1600MM

Total exposure time: 8h30m
- Hydrogen Alpha : 4h10m (500x30s)
- Oxigen III: 4h20m (520x30s)

I have the feeling that I should have doubled the exposure for O3 as the details are very challenging to get out (along with overall sblotchiness of the stars and bg gradients).

Seagull-8h32.thumb.jpg.1e3dd80c446ed39eb1f24a4269413892.jpg

The adaptor ring for my flattener is coming so hopefully I'll be able to avoid the very elongated stars in all the corners.

• Like 8

That's a cracker.  I was about to comment on the corner stars when i read you comment about the flattener. 

You are lucky this target will be higher for you in Switzerland, I managed to get it from the Southern UK a couple of winters ago but it is rather low for us.

I can't comment on the length of subs as I have never used a CMOS camera.  

Carole 

Thanks Carole!

Indeed, here it sits quite high in the sky with basically no gradients to take care of.

Subs length is mostly due to me being really bad at blind polar alignment, so I couldn't go longer than 30s (also I'm a wuss when it comes to staying out in the cold so I was able to do only so much drift alignment). I suspect that with longer exposures the finer details (especially on O3) would have come out much better. Hopefully next time I'll be able to fix all that!

Have a wonderful weekend to everyone!

• Like 1