NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Accessories for SLT130 ?

Hello,

Just received a Celestron 130 SLT, I want to view the moon and planets first. Am hearing a 3mm, a moon filter and 2.5x Celestron Luminosity Barlow aare some accessories I need. What advice on this would you give me. I really wear my glasses all the time to see.

thank you,

Dave

Instead of a Moon filter, I would recommend a variable-polariser which allows you to adjust the brightness to the level preferred.

The telescope has a focal-length of 650mm.  Planets start to become interesting at around 150x...

650mm ÷ 150x = a 4.3mm eyepiece

I would suggest a 3x-barlow, along with 12mm(54x) and 9mm(72x) eyepieces, and for simulated 3mm(217x) and 4mm(163x) eyepieces when combined with the barlow.  If we knew your location, we could make better recommendations for a barlow.

Edited by Alan64

a 3mm ep will be very hard to look through kinda like viewing through a pinhole. The more expensive wide angles ep can have a 3mm or 4mm that easier to look throgh but norm they are expensive.

you may need a 2x or 3x barlow with short focal length scopes but you need to calculate the powers are not being doubled up.

you may need to upgrade those eps after awhile they are ok to start with for few months but going to decent plossls may be a bit better.

joejaguar