Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ursids - 22nd December - circa 10 observed

jam1e1

hi not sure if anyone got out last night to see Ursids - got a quick viewing in naked eye in the clear patch.

Happened to clear up around 1030pm ish so went outside to watch and see if I could spot anything. Transparency was great, could see stars in south direction to near to the horizon which is a rare occurrence from my garden, additionally made out a number of fainter stars around Taurus/Aldebaran circa mag 4 or so- ones rarely see. Shame as wanted to get scope out but was a) tired and b) clouds were scheduled soon.

The meteors were amazing, saw around 10 in the space of 30mins.  Saw 3 in quick succession about 2 seconds apart each from Gemini through Auriga circa mag 2, streaked across the sky but really quick. They were nearly parallel and about 5 moons apart each in parallel spacing.

Saw a couple of really faint ones circa mag 4 but short about couple of degrees apart. 

Another started off circa mag -1 then broke up and went to mag 2 through Andromeda to Cetus.

There didnt seem to be too much of a consistent direction.

Best one came right across sky from Cepheus through to Orion , was about mag -1 and orange /white with colour like Capella, really long trail and lasted for around a second.

There were a couple of others too but above were most memorable. Shame as wanted to stay longer but clouds came in. It was a very busy shower in the time i stayed out and saw way more than most others this year - not that been out too much!

Jamie

• Like 5