SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Grimaldi and companions

Nyctimene

Yesterday morning, 03.10 to 03.40 CET, I repeated spontaneously an observation I first made April 10th, 2017 (posted here in the Lunar section) with the 5.1" Heritage. The terminator was at Grimaldi, showing it's crater rim in bright contrast to the rather dark floor of this 220 km-basin. North of Grimaldi, the perspectively distorted crater chain of Lohrmann - Hevelius - Cavalerius showed despite the bad seeing (only 83x mag usable) some detail, as the central mountain of Hevelius, the small crater H  on the W rim, and A on the floor. Rima Hevelius could not be made out. It was interesting, that the otherwise excellent app LunarMap HD had some weaknesses in showing these limb - near details contrasty despite being  set to the highest resolution (LRO hi-res). I had to look up some features in the trusty Rükl atlas. The seeing didn't get any better, so I finished after half an hour (observation No. 70 for this year).

Thanks for reading

Stephan

Edited by Nyctimene
  • Like 6