NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

160mm versus 1.6 meters - hmmmm interesting

BabyPepper

Having a 1.6 meters aperture solar telescope would be great; wouldnt it?   But as an amateur it really does seem like there is not much of a gain in going above 180mm!  Here is an example where an amazing bit of similar detail was captured while using just 160mm of aperture. Compared to the 1.6 meter big bear observatory;     

Now this does not happen too often, and one interesting point to note is they have optics which  cost in excess of 100 million US dollars;  Mine did not exceed $3000.00

I started off with just 35mm of aperture; 10 years ago...

Thanks for looking!

dot397.gif.721835ef75f39ae2c8206ddd6d1162cd.gif  apo656.gif.c54311cd976565e03a30c172a15d2a06.gif

Hmmmm,  I wonder what I will capture with my new 0.44-meter mirror  (a ton of atmosphere!)

699189978_17inchmirror.thumb.jpeg.ada0f81346715ca991e6a21d4d5fe1b9.jpeg

• Like 2

cool that's a big mirror mate your going to need a big ERF for that☀️, would you like to see what I get with 102mm ?. link in sig. watch you don't hurt your back lifting that mirror buddy. welcome to SGL. charl.

Edited by xtreemchaos
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, xtreemchaos said:

cool that's a big mirror mate your going to need a big ERF for that☀️, would you like to see what I get with 102mm ?. link in sig. watch you don't hurt your back lifting that mirror buddy. welcome to SGL. charl.

You have a nice collection of images,  looks like your quark operates well.

I am currently limited by a very low quality camera, however it what it lacks in picture quality it makes up for in high speed.  It captures 750 frames per second at 640x480.    Thats typically all that matters with planetary/solar imaging.

However, the age old rule still applies;  Junk input = junk output...

The mirror is not too heavy, maybe 12 kilos.    When I get done building the truss, the complete telescope will weigh about 18kilos total including the focuser.     

I developed The ERF system myself, and it is only 90mm in diameter.  The mirror itself, is customized and was was chosen based on its thermal properties to support the full thermal load of the sun.   Its basically a huge chunk of quartz.

Thank you for the welcome!

Edited by BabyPepper
  • Like 1

thanks mate ,ill be interested to see how that lovely mirror performs, ive only ever use fracs for solar, but ive seen impressive work with a C8.  Ive a look at your flickr page, you also have some great pics mate well done.  charl.

Edited by xtreemchaos