NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Getting the Most from New Telescope

Hi guys,

I am relatively new to astronomy and would greatly appreciate some advice on how to get the most out of my new telescope (Celestron NexStar SE4). Specifically, some advice would be great on:

1) What objects are best to see with this scope other than planets? I really like looking at planets but I have studied them a lot before so I want to know some good deep sky objects suitable with this scope. A list of exciting objects suitable for this scope other than planets would be really helpful. 

2) The best mid-high range eyepieces to use. I already have a cheap reflector telescope with a cheap 1.25" plossl 20mm, 10mm and x2 Barlow. I purchased an additional mid-range eyepiece for viewing planets with this scope which is a 5mm BST StarGuider 60 degrees which is good and I will use this with my new Celestron. Since I have a fairly decent short eyepiece what other mid-high range eyepieces would you guys recommend with this scope? After doing a lot of research around the forums here people have said the following seem to be good:

14mm Meade 5000 UWA (£100 cheapest in UK)

14mm Explore Scientific (£128 cheapest in UK)

What would these offer with my scope over the cheap plossl ones? Also I have read on these forums that going above 14mm (i.e. entering the 2" range) is not good with Celestron's as the adaptor gets in the way and the benefits are circumvented by the design of these compound scopes. Is that right? Is there a reason why cheap plossl eyepieces go up to 20mm + for 1.25" whilst more expensive lenses stop at 14mm for 1.25"?

Sorry for so many questions,

Thanks for any advice given!

Edited by Alfster

I assume you have the 4SE Maksutov outfit.

This instrument has a long focal ratio so the choice of eyepiece design is not critical.  Plossl eyepieces should be fine, if of reasonable quality. try the ones you already have.  You could try the 14mm eyepieces you cite (it's your money) but IMHO there is no point on spending this amount when a Plossl costing £30+ will work fine.

Also I would not recommend using 2" eyepieces as they are heavy and bulky, and if you look closely at the scope you will see that the hole in the back & main mirror is quite small...

What to observe? Try the 'Sky Tour' incorporated in the Nexstar handset. That is what it's there for... 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alfster said:

I want to know some good deep sky objects suitable with this scope

Under reasonably dark skies you should be able to see all of Messier's objects. The catalogue includes some of the most spectacular wonders of nature that can be observed from Earth's Northern Hemisphere. 

The 102mm aperture of the Maksutov-Cassegrain is going to limit considerably your choices for the dimmer, deep-sky objects.  To get the brightest, widest view of the sky, I would suggest getting a 1.25", 32mm Plossl(41x).  As you go up in magnification, the objects will appear closer, but also dimmer.  Your telescope will serve best for the Moon, the planets, and the brighter and brightest of deep-sky objects.

Personally, I would've chosen this one among the go-to Maksutov kits, and at a similar price-point... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-22097-NexStar-Computerised-Telescope/dp/B0038LX8XE

For deep-sky observations, the more aperture the better.

Seeing dso also depends your u live if your in heavy lp skies probably forget most galaxies.  Nebulas may also be hard hard cept for a handful of the bright ones.

The mak has a long focal length its mainly made for the planets. 

The common knowledge is if u really want to see dso serious should start with a min 8 inch scope.

Now saying that u can still see some double stars which that scope will do fine on.some bright clusters and some nebulas. There r some bright stuff that your scope wont see or you will be too close cause of it being a long focal length scope..

The mak is a specialized scope mainly for high power close up views

Joejaguar