Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ideal Observatory garden

dan_uk

Hello,

I am currently looking to move to a new area finally, (currently in the middle of London with hardly any sky in view) it's looking to quite likely be out in the South East and one of my priorities is finding a great location to build an observatory and enjoy my equipment again.

I fortunately have a partner who really supports this criteria however I feel a lot of the places we have looked at are also a bit of a compromise to get that really nice unobstructed view.

Could anyone with a bit more experience offer advice on what would be acceptable in terms of obstructions and the direction they are in? For example we found a great place but the North is obstructed by trees, what sort of directions would I be able to give up without losing much? We've actually found quite a few places that back out onto fields and are free of street lights but usually there is a big annoying tree somewhere out of my control.

Just looking for advice so I can confidently assess a garden as we do our viewings and understand what I may be giving up for a particular property.

Appreciate any advice, and apologies if this is not quite the right place for this.

Dan

I’ve just recently completed my observatory build, please correct me if I’m wrong 

Good clear views to the south.

Any obstruction below 30% is ok, the higher you look, the cleaner the sky is.

If you can see Polaris in the north, this will help you polar align. 

While it’s currently dark outside, maybe  it’s worth looking at properties after 4pm to get a feel for the night sky. 

ATB 

Ben 

• Like 2