Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Elephant's Trunk and Soul with L-Enhance

Stub Mandrel

11 minutes ago, Hallingskies said:

Sorry, Neil, what’s an “L-Enhance”?  And is the 450D referred to a Canon 450D?  Because if it is, I’m definitely going to have a go with my old 450 with whatever an L-enhance is!  

L-enhance is one of the relatively new breed of tri-band filters, it's by Optolong: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/light-pollution-reduction-imaging/optolong-l-enhance-dual-narrowband-deep-sky-imaging-filter.html

The 450D is my canon but 'a'stro modified and 'c'ooled 🙂

• Like 1

Here's an interesting comparison - lovely colour in last year's RGB image, but poor definition of the nebulosity:

1691566300_GarnetTrunk.thumb.png.f66f15db626b9dd4ca8bd86360d3cc72.png

Overlayed on the L-enhance (not an exact fit!) the stars are subdued and the nebulosity is much clearer, but better colour:

2144463905_ElephantTrunkL-enhanceplusRGB.thumb.png.0d2c00a1aeeb74132d4aacee30f94dbf.png

I need to get another batch of L-enhance subs to align properly.

2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

L-enhance is one of the relatively new breed of tri-band filters, it's by Optolong: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/light-pollution-reduction-imaging/optolong-l-enhance-dual-narrowband-deep-sky-imaging-filter.html

The 450D is my canon but 'a'stro modified and 'c'ooled 🙂

Thanks for the info, Neil.  I assume the "mod" is the removal of the on-chip IR blocking filter.  I use my 450D for too much other stuff so I wouldn't want to mess around with it, but it looks like that Optolong filter is giving you excellent results with your set-up.  They must be a boon for OSC cameras.  Might keep an eye open for a second-hand OSC...