Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Starting Again...

rickstanners

Hi All,

I have had a Nexstar 8SE for almost a year now, an excellent scope which has had much use and guided me around the skies very well.

I have been interested in imaging from the very beginning and have been thinking about where to go from here to start doing it properly.

I am also starting a new job in the new year which will mean a lot of moving around over the next couple of years at least.

With this in mind I am thinking of selling the nexstar (I already have a possible buyer) and starting again with something that will be good for imaging and hopefully take up a bit less space in the boot!

So far I am thinking something based on an HEQ5, possibly 2 refractors piggybacked so that I can get into guiding too. (This would also give me the option of taking just one of them on my travels etc...)

I just thought I'd ask you guys whether you think that this is the right direction to head in (specific 'scope combinations etc. would be great) or if there is a better route?

Thanks

Rich

Hmm, interesting............there's 2 routes (probably more, but here's my two anyway) you can take:

1) save hassle of selling / buying a new scope just wedge-up your nextstar 8 and perhaps add a small mak. to it which you can use as a guide scope, the nexstar has an autoguider port built in. Also you mentioned portability, if you buy a HEQ-5 or and EQ-6 with 2 refractors (probably around 4/5 inch aperture), then this will probbaly take up the same or even more space that your setup now. I know the nexstar OTA is 8 inches but it is quite short being a Schmidt and the mount isn't that massive.......I would say its 6 and two 3's on car space.

2) Buy a new setup, get exactly what you need with a specific EQ mount for imaging and a secondary scope for guiding......should be good for the next few years.

Its therefore quite acceptable to go down each route with either setup, although will the time and possible money you save staying with your current equipment justify not buying a snazzy new setup with imaging at its core? Tough choice.

If you're moving around a fair bit and you want the least amount of hassle then two small(ish) refrators would be ideal. No collimation, no cooldown time and short focal lengths would certainly make life easier than using catadioptrics and reflectors. I've been using 66 and 110mm Zenithstars for my imaging and they both can image or guide depending on what field of view I want.

HTH

Tony..

Thanks guys,

Yes, this is all what I have been thinking. The main problem I have is the space taken up with the nexstar OTA which is quite big in the padded box I keep it in. I thought that 2 boxed up refractors would at least be easier to pack around the car rather than taking up one big bit of space?

Rich

I thought that 2 boxed up refractors would at least be easier to pack around the car rather than taking up one big bit of space?

Indeed they do Rich, my little 66 came with the exact same case as the one I use for my eyepieces. The 110 is a little longer (obviously!) but the case is still only about 30" or so long.

Tony..

Yes I thought that would be the case.

Just looking around and reading some reviews, what do you think about the WO ZS66 and Megrez 88 as a pair? Are they too close in aperture size perhaps? Anything larger in that line starts to bust my budget! Though there may be scopes from other manufacturers that would also be good?

Thanks again for your replies guys!

Rich

What you gain in carboot space you lose in aperture.......a change from 8 inches to 3/4/5 inches is quite large, but then again the focal ratio of a refractor will be far lower than a Schmidt, thus making imaging a little easier.

Yes I thought that would be the case.

Just looking around and reading some reviews, what do you think about the WO ZS66 and Megrez 88 as a pair? Are they too close in aperture size perhaps? Anything larger in that line starts to bust my budget! Though there may be scopes from other manufacturers that would also be good?

Thanks again for your replies guys!

Rich

I really like my 66 Rich, for the money you can't really go wrong. Dave (Centroid) did a review of the M88 here: http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php/topic,31212.0.html . I know they're a bit slower, but what about an ED80?

Tony..

Archived