Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

chiltonstar

Africano and Neptune

If the weather permits (touch and go here in Oxford), Comet Africano passes close to Neptune tomorrow evening (no Moon). This is a SkySafari screen shot:-

Chris

Screenshot_20191002-074011_SkySafari 6 Pro.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, MimasDeathStar said:

Will that be bright enough to see in a small telescope do you think? 

John (Moderator) picked it up with his 120 ED frac, so with good conditions, it should be possible in a small scope. I've not looked at it yet, but I'll have a look this evening or tomorrow if the weather permits!

Chris

• Like 2

Good "Heads up" Chris.

If I get any chance to observe (pretty iffy forecast here as well) I will use a wide angle eyepiece to get both in the field of view together, which should be nice.

It's not a bright comet but well worth a look I reckon, especially when it's near something interesting in the sky :smiley:

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

A bit more detail to show Africano better....... You should be able to fit it into your field of view John!

Chris

Screenshot_20191002-105818_SkySafari 6 Pro.jpg

Edited by chiltonstar
  • Thanks 1

Could be very nice but will the clouds play ball :icon_scratch:

I've got a surprise clear night here currently, which is not what was forecast at all.

1 hour ago, John said:

Could be very nice but will the clouds play ball :icon_scratch:

I've got a surprise clear night here currently, which is not what was forecast at all.

Ditto! Clear, but haze beginning to form as the temperature drops and dew appears. I did spot the comet though (180 Mak, x67), although I have to say it wasn't the brightest comet I've seen!

Chris

I've just about managed to find it with the Tak 100 - darned hard work tonight !:

I think it's fading slowly and getting lower.

• Like 1