Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Glatter Collimator for RC - Holograph accessory help

Evening everybody,

I have recently purchased an RC6 scope  ( thought I would try a small one and see how I get on before getting the 20" Truss  option ;) ).    I also picked up a second hand 2" Glatter Laser collimator knowing that at some stage the dreaded RC collimation process would have to be tackled.   Watching a few videos on-line I saw the use of a holographic accessory that projects concentric circles down through the OTA and can be used to adjust the primary mirror alignment.

Alas, the company itself  does not produce this attachment  anymore and all the well known astro-suppliers are out of stock as well.     

There is an attachment though, that projects a square grid instead of the circles.

Image result for Howie Glatter Laser Attachments £77Image result for Howie Glatter Laser Attachments £77

Now, as yet I have never collimated an RC scope and so, I am totally ignorant of the subtleties, but....... can this grid be used to assess the alignment of the primary by measuring the displacement of the grid on all four sides of the central spot ???   ie.  it can be used successfully on an RC ??

I am prepared to be flamed for my naivety on the matter.

Regards,

sean.

I had the glatter with the circle holograph and sold it. The best and easy RC collimation technique that I learned was just to get a self centering from Hotech..  http://www.astro-baby.com/reviews/hotech laser collimator/hotech_laser_collimator_review.htm then a chesire. I am not a pro and only collimated once but  it is spot on. BTW, I had both holograhic attachment and the grid is not the right one, use the crosshair that is available now..

YT here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynyT-Zyfbls 

Here is the result after collimation. The laser was off by .25 of an inch to the center of the secondary when I started. Stars are perfect.

bubblefinal-2.thumb.jpg.3fefcf6f26374353b3925827b3346a20.jpg

Edited by retret66