NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Gorgeous slow, bright, green, long lasting fireball over Kent on Sunday night...Anyone see it?

MKHACHFE

Hi all, 

I was out in my garden on Sunday night just looking at Ursa Major and saw a very bright, slow moving meteor come in from left of Bootes , fly over Ursa Maj and almost go over the horizon (towards East London). I was looking NE. It didn't leave a trail, but was very bright green and it took about 4 secs to cross the sky.

Whats funny is that only last night i told my wife that every time i am outside at night, i worry that the minute i come inside a bright fireball will appear that i will only read about in the news the next morning. What a stunning site it was.. Anyone else see it?

Cheers

fireball.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rob Sellent said:

Do you reckon it was a meteor? I thought they moved pretty swiftly and would cover that section of sky in a fraction of a second.

I would agree with LukeSkywatcher, it was a bolide/fireball. Easily took 4 secs to cross my section of sky. I just said meteor out of habit. My mistake. 😮

It was so gorgeous.  Vivid green. I was waiting (hoping) to catch it explode or break up and brighten the valley i live in..but no such luck.  Looks like a few other people spotted it, I'm assuming this was the same one as it did come from the East of the UK and did go over East Barnet. Also,  both of our views were at the same time. 

https://twitter.com/ukmeteornetwork?lang=en

Cheers

fireball2.JPG

Edited by MKHACHFE
changed High Barnet to East
  • Like 1