Neq6 upgrades

Nigella Bryant

Hi all, I've been hyper tuning my neq6 mount over the last couple of years and upgrading parts. In the past couple of years I've upgraded the bearings on the Ra, Dec and drive mechanism. Done a Rowan belt mod, upgraded the counter weight bar and today added the eq wedge. Probably not as economic as selling the mount and buying say another mount with all that already but I'd be starting over again to hyper tune it as most Chinese mounts need some sort of tweeking to get the most out of them. Also doing it this way means small amounts of outlay at a time. It's a mount I'm keeping and I do love the do it yourself aspect of doing upgrades. Of course I've alway's got help from bud. 

IMG_20190912_145428.jpg

IMG_20190912_165917.jpg

IMG_20190912_170109.jpg

IMG_20190912_170609.jpg

IMG_20190912_172448.jpg

IMG_20190912_172805.jpg

IMG_20190912_172837.jpg

IMG_20190912_172910.jpg

8 hours ago, jambouk said:

Looks really lovely. Do you have any metrics on how the mods have altered performance? Backlash, periodic error etc?

James

Hi James, mods have made the mount more stable, quite and free from backlash. The best mod was the belt drive and the wedge. Pec is enabled in software so this is virtually eliminated as well. 

1 hour ago, jambouk said:

Nice.

Is upgrading the power socket on the future list of jobs? Something with a screw-type connection, like the one on the newer Skywatcher mounts - nothing worse than a power disconnection midway through a session. 

I've thought about it but never had a problem with it disconnecting. 

Archived