NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Some Open Clusters From Last Night

Thalestris24

Using the trusty TS APO 80mm on the Heq5 + Belt Drive through a small window :) Camera was the QHY183 Mono at -10 deg. Capture / Live Stacking with SharpCap Pro. Sky was initially fairly clear (for here) but transparency dropped.

M45: 4 x 16 x 60s

M45_4x16x60sGmp50pc.thumb.jpg.73dfbd69f4216211ac542c9b47911fb7.jpg

A bit overstretched but at least shows some of the nebulosity :)

NGC 1746: 4 x 16 x 60s

NGC1746_4x16x60s_Gmp_50pc.thumb.jpg.223c86f2f9746bd90a401d401d5a86fc.jpg

M35: 4 x16 x 60s

M35_4x16x60s_gmp50pc.thumb.jpg.6016ad166420a64beb2dd3cb8b513084.jpg

All a bit flawed in one way or another but I'm pleased I got something. The more-often-than-not clouds mean imaging opportunities are very few and far between here in Glasgow. At least it's darker again now, and some targets have come into view. I tried to grab M31 but it was too high and the window frame got caught in the subs I did. Maybe I'll have a change around and put the heq5/80mm in front of the bigger window. That will give me more scope, so to speak :). Also, no LP filters were used in the making of the above images so they are affected by LP and IR. I'll have to extract the IDAS from the inside of the medium format Pentax 300mm.

Louise

• Like 10

Lousie, given the conditions you are working with what with the sky glow from Glasgow I would be very impressed if I had captured those.  The nebulosity in M45 is clearly visible did you use a filter? I really admire your perseverance with the restrictions you have, well done,  you put me to shame :)

Jim  

Edited by saac

13 minutes ago, saac said:

Lousie, given the conditions you are working with what with the sky glow from Glasgow I would be very impressed if I had captured those.  The nebulosity in M45 is clearly visible did you use a filter? I really admire your perseverance with the restrictions you have, well done,  you put me to shame :)

Jim  

I'm a masochist ha ha! No, no filters used - just stretching. I so wish I had a car or something so that I had a means to get my kit outside but, being on my own, it's too difficult to move everything downstairs otherwise. I'll just have to soldier on, sigh. Thanks for the kind words :)

Louise

Well Louise you know I bet you'll derive as much excitement and pleasure at getting meaningful images from your restricted location as you would had you had the perfect location.  I often find it's  the challenge itself that makes things exciting.  You should maybe think about doing an astro holiday  where you can put your "combat" honed astronomy skills to test in better conditions.  If you can get images like that from through a window in Glasgow think what you could do  in Tenerife or with the likes of Olly's help in France where the rain isn't  vertical and the clouds don't touch the ground. I am genuinely impressed Louise.  :) 

Jim 

9 minutes ago, saac said:

Well Louise you know I bet you'll derive as much excitement and pleasure at getting meaningful images from your restricted location as you would had you had the perfect location.  I often find it's  the challenge itself that makes things exciting.  You should maybe think about doing an astro holiday  where you can put your "combat" honed astronomy skills to test in better conditions.  If you can get images like that from through a window in Glasgow think what you could do  in Tenerife or with the likes of Olly's help in France where the rain isn't  vertical and the clouds don't touch the ground. I am genuinely impressed Louise.  :) 

Jim 

Thanks for the compliments, Jim! I can't see me travelling anywhere with my kit. If I can't even get it down the stairs... TBH, I've been losing my imaging mojo this year. I get so few opportunities cos of the weather and it's only certain times of the year that there are any interesting targets in sight (of my windows). It's demoralising. I've thought about selling all my gear but it would be buyer collect from Glasgow... I'll be back to evening classes and studying soon too so even less time available. Oh well.

Louise

• Like 1