NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Flatteners / Reducers - William Optic Options?

I am a proud owner of both a William Optics Z61 and a William Optics Z103. Both scopes give me a huge amount of pleasure but the Z103 is becoming a source of frustration.

I have a field flattener for the Z61 and it is a bespoke WO design for that scope. However, WO in their wisdom opted for an adjustable reducer for the Z103 which covers a couple of their scopes and I need to adjust the Flat 6AII to 4.6mm. With the Z61 I have perfectly round stars to the corners of the image. For the Z103 I have made adjustment after adjustment and still cannot get pin point stars in the corners of the image.

So my question is whether there is a non WO flattener/reducer out there in the market place for a Z103 which can be attached to the scope without the faff of having to get to a seemingly impossible measurement of 4.6mm or some other number. Failing that has anyone got any tips for achieving the goal of round stars in the corners with a Flat 6AII?

Many thanks for reading my grumbles!

John

I have the Flat6AII on my GT71. Have never ever got perfect flat to the corners. I can confirm however that the quoted distance is very close. I have found that when you are close to optimum, sub millimetre matters. I find it's easier to add spacers than to keep rotating everything. I recently bought some steel shim washers from Spaldings Fasteners. They do M45 and M50 sizes 0.2mm and 0.5mm thick. Have helped me get very very close with a TS flattener on my 102mm Altair.

• Thanks 1