NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Two nights in a row?!

JamesF

Who'd have thought it, especially given the way the weather is at the moment.  Definitely a bit of high cloud around though, and the air feels a bit damp.  We'll see how it goes.

Currently playing with an ASI224MC and ED80 on M27 as a way of getting the hang of Ekos.  I'm going to have to sort out the guiding to get longer subs though.  Just pondering this evening on the best way to get sufficient focuser travel to achieve focus with some of these cameras.  Without using the reducer I think perhaps a T2 extension tube of 50 to 60mm screwed directly onto the camera might be the best bet.

James

• Like 1

Looks like a bit of a repeat of last night, though there may be a bit of a clear patch now.  The transparency isn't great though I could make out the Milky Way through Cygnus from time to time earlier, and obviously the Moon is starting to get some altitude which isn't helping anything now.

James

Yeah, two night's, very lucky :)

I was imaging IC1318 early in the night. When it past the meridian I moved to M33 which was just coming into view.......But as you say, there was a lot of moisture in the air and the moon was rising. It made M33 washed out. So, I took the unusual step of imaging in the west!!! 😮 Something I very rarely do as my neighbour has very bright fairy lights right next to my obsy ( ggrrr ). Doubt they will turn them off....Looks like I will have to get the council involved! Anyway, back to IC1318, recalibrated PHD2. Happy with that..Platesolved and set SGP running for the NB with the ZWO 183mm Pro on the TS65EQ and let Artemis run for 300s subs with the ATIK 4120EX OSC on Hyperstar. Subs were very usable. Nice and dark, lovely contrast. Check the weather...Looks good. Went to bed.

Woke this morning to see we had a downpour 😮 😓 Went out to the shed to find the inner floor wet. Fortunately, it looks like the session had finished and it had parked up. So water did not hit the glass. Both cameras look ok too. The Atik was covered by the dew shield, so if parked it would be sheltered....A close shave. 

Over two nights I managed to get, 25 x 300s Ha and SII with 8 x 300s OIII. 70 x 300s OSC! Not had chance to look at the subs yet though. 

I was also considering trying some imaging to the west, trying to identify that darker section of sky between the brightness of the rising Moon and the lighter north-western horizon where the Sun was still having an effect.  I shall give that some thought for future moonlit nights.

Pleased to hear that your kit survived the rain.  I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to leave things running unattended without a rain sensor these days.  The forecasts just don't seem sufficiently reliable any more.  Speaking of which, they're suggesting a couple of hours of clear sky here this evening, too.  I'll believe that when it turns up...

James

Edited by JamesF
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, JamesF said:

I was also considering trying some imaging to the west, trying to identify that darker section of sky between the brightness of the rising Moon and the lighter north-western horizon where the Sun was still having an effect.  I shall give that some thought for future moonlit nights.

Pleased to hear that your kit survived the rain.  I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to leave things running unattended without a rain sensor these days.  The forecasts just don't seem sufficiently reliable any more.  Speaking of which, they're suggesting a couple of hours of clear sky here this evening, too.  I'll believe that when it turns up...

James

Thanks, yes, everything survived OK. 

Its forecast clear until sunset then clouds here....I will wait and see for myself, I live in hope :).

Good luck.