Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Telrad Mod to mount Panasonic FZ18

Bigwings

Now being a novice to both astronomy and imaging I wanted an easy way of mounting my FZ18 on my SE8 SCT. I had fitted a Telrad bang on the top so its easy to use as most of my viewing is with the MK1 eyeball. I was going to make an alluminium bracket to fit into the Telrad mount when the Telrad was removed and then I had an idea.

The tripod head bit that screws to the camera and is then mounted on the tripod(removable) was just a little wider than the Telrad.

Slide the cover forward on the Telrad sit the camera and the mounting plate on the Telrad and mark the side opposite the Telrad switch to allow removal of a small section of the sidewall. The camera should be as far back toward the back as is possible. after the section is marked and removed the camera sits nice and comfortable on top of the Telrad and just slide the Telrad cover back to grip the square section of the mounting plate.

Cost Nothing and it works.

You may need to put a small block suitably carved over the removed section to stop the camera sliding left but if you just pop the camera on for the shot its OK.

If I work out how to mount the camera and get it to take a pic of itself I will post them LOL.

Now I know the F18 is not a real serious imagers tool not being a DSLR as such but with its 18x zoom giving 800mm telephoto and its ability to push that electonicaly to over 1000mm if you reduce the quality it should be fun. The image on my profile was taken with it held manualy (it has anti shake built in).

Does anyone else use this camera for astrophotography?

Archived