NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Using OSC camera with a Filter wheel

Fellside

Hi

I have been thinking about using a OSC camera with a filter wheel. Narrowband imaging seems quite successful with OSC now. Tri-band dual narrowband filter are available for this use. Wheel has LRGB 36mm filters.

I would like to move to a larger sensor but Mono is not available in ASP-C. So it OSC only.

The QHY268c is not going to be available for some time so the camera I was going to use in the ASI071.

What are the Advantages and disadvantages of this setup?

Regards

Graham

On 17/08/2019 at 12:03, Fellside said:

Hi

I have been thinking about using a OSC camera with a filter wheel. Narrowband imaging seems quite successful with OSC now. Tri-band dual narrowband filter are available for this use. Wheel has LRGB 36mm filters.

I would like to move to a larger sensor but Mono is not available in ASP-C. So it OSC only.

The QHY268c is not going to be available for some time so the camera I was going to use in the ASI071.

What are the Advantages and disadvantages of this setup?

Regards

Graham

I would not use a filter wheel, you dont need one, just get a 2 inch Duel Narrow band filter and a 2 inch LP filter and thats all you should need. Just  screw them to the corrector and change them over dependent on what you are planning to image. 

Adam

Thanks for your reply. I thought surely somone uses filters with OSC cameras.

The reason I mentioned A filter wheel is it is already fitted to the scope. All I need to do is screw on the OSC camera and no mucking about with getting the spacing correct. I have read about the Duel Narrow band filter and Quad band filters and the results users are getting. I just thought I would use the existing filter wheel. Then of course you are only imaging through a single filter at a time. Narrow band of course.

Have you used a Dual band filter or are you strictly Mono?

Regards

Graham

On 20/08/2019 at 20:48, Fellside said:

Adam

Thanks for your reply. I thought surely somone uses filters with OSC cameras.

The reason I mentioned A filter wheel is it is already fitted to the scope. All I need to do is screw on the OSC camera and no mucking about with getting the spacing correct. I have read about the Duel Narrow band filter and Quad band filters and the results users are getting. I just thought I would use the existing filter wheel. Then of course you are only imaging through a single filter at a time. Narrow band of course.

Have you used a Dual band filter or are you strictly Mono?

Regards

Graham

I have used a UHC filter to image with a OSC and its almost the same thing but a bit wider. I have not used a Duel narrow band myself but its the same concept.