NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How can you mount a finder to a plate? For Star Adventurer

AbsolutelyN

Anyone have any ideas how to mount a finderscope to a williams optics plate - or to anything other than a standard telescope mounted finder mount shoe? I'd just like to use finderscope for polar aligning the star adventurer with sharpcap but can see any way to use the finderscope in a non telescope setup.  Any ideas much appreciated. 
Ideally I'm looking for ballhead and a finder mounted to this plate but struggling to figure out how.

unnamed_1024.jpg

Edited by AbsolutelyN

your Zwo camera has a 1/4" mounting hole in the rear. You could find a suitable 1/4" bolt long enough bolt it to the dovetail through one of the holes or slots. The finderscope mounting rings and bracket aren't needed then. Then clamp the dovetail in the Star Adventurer. (Mount the camera towards one end of the dovetail so there is enough dovetail left to clamp to the SA). That should be sufficient for using sharpcap to polar align I believe. :smile:

Alan

• Thanks 1

Thanks Alan, I completely forgot about that 1/4" mounting hole on the zwo. First attempt uses the dovetail plus a second ball head but I suspect I can reduce this down with various bits and bats to reduce weight. Thanks very much, really appreciated!

_A7R5611-2.jpg

• Like 1

Looking good AbsolutelyN. As you're using the bracket with the counterweight attached you could get something like this to adapt the 3/8" thread on the bracket to the 1/4" for the Zwo camera to save using the second ballhead.

Alan 

• Thanks 1