NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Losmandy type dovetail bar / clamp queries

John

I currently use a William Optics long Vixen type dovetail bar with my largest refractor, the TMB/LZOS 130mm F/9.25 triplet. This is the DT bar:

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/william-optics-long-dovetail-plate-vixen-style.html

The dovetail clamp that I use is the ADM double knob version:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adm-replacement-saddles/adm-vixen-style-saddle.html

The mount concerned is the Skytee II alt-azimuth and my mounting setup is pictured below.

The above componants do a decent job of holding what is a long and heavy optical tube for visual observations but, as ever, I'm interested in improvements, if possible, without resorting to a heavier duty mount.

Since I have had this scope I have wondered if it is worth moving to a Losmandy type dovetail bar and clamp for use with the same mount. I'm curious as to whether this would give me a bit more stability at high magnifications.

As far as I can see the William Optics DT bar is about as robust a Vixen style one as you can get and the ADM clamp is of good, tried and tested quality.

Before I take the plunge and order a Losmandy style clamp and DT bar for the scope, I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who has made a similar change as to whether it results in a more stable setup. I guess I'm wondering if the mount itself is actually the slightly weaker link rather than the dovetail arrangements that I currently use :icon_scratch:

Also, if I do decide to move to the larger format bar and clamp, would a longer or shorter DT bar be worth considering for the tube length involved?. My current William Optics Vixen type DT bar is a 290mm one. With Vixen / Skywatcher format bars I have found that long DT bars can actuallt be less stable than shorter ones because they seem to flex a touch more. Are Losmandy format bars the same or do they maintain their inflexibility with length ?

I'm trying to understand what it is about the Losmandy system that imparts greater control over vibrations etc and whether those benefits will accrue when it's used with the Skytee II mount.

Thanks in advance for any views / observations offered on this topic :icon_biggrin:

tmb130bbst02.JPG.804b40cb0e42b51957ae11561be844a4.JPG

The Atair dual saddle is a direct bolt on to the Skytee. Nice big chunky saddle it is too and works fine with both Vixen and Losmany type dovetails.

Does seem to reduce vibration a bit and feels a lot more solid than the old ADM saddle.

AA8E16FB-D9E9-4539-849D-6777734B6518.jpeg

3105C65B-4E0A-46FC-BE4B-94D41367CE44.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1