Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eq 5 home position

Hi Folks, 

OK, so I have a new shiny eq5 mount and before we get into the autumn I thought I'd get to grips with understanding how to use it. 

I've read just about everything I can find about setting up the home position.  Problem 1. When setting up the Dec position, once I have it level and set the scale to 0, I rotate it until the scale reads 90 but this looks way off, are these dials accurate? If I use the opposite 90degree bubble on the level to set it at 90 degrees the scale reads 40.

Problem 2. With the scope in the home position it doesnt look like the scope and the polar scope are in line with each other, is this correct? 

Sorry if this has been asked before. 

Thanks for your help 

Simon 

Ignore those dials, they are rubbish and a waste of time, 

have a look at this PDF, with a scope in and counterweights fitted, set them both with a bubble level, set the RA dial on zero, then when you move back to 90 it should be more than close enough, the Dec axis will stay as is, as long as levelled, then best to put a mark on the Mount head for future reference..

http://eq-mod.sourceforge.net/docs/MountHomePosition.pdf

Edited by StarDodger

4 minutes ago, StarDodger said:

Ignore those dials, they are rubbish and a waste of time, 

have a look at this PDF, with a scope in and counterweights fitted, set them both with a bubble level, set the RA dial on zero, then when you move back to 90 it should be more than close enough, the Dec axis will stay as is, as long as levelled, then best to put a mark on the Mount head for future reference..

http://eq-mod.sourceforge.net/docs/MountHomePosition.pdf

Thanks for this, that's what I figured. Any thoughts on the polar scope / home position issue? 

Sorry, one final question, the polar scope seems to have some play in it,  I'm guessing that with this Tripod it's not going to be possible to get a really accurate alignment. I have centered it but even then, when rotating it around a test dot on the wall it seems to go off centre really quickly. 

Thanks again 

Simon