NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sky-watcher Stargate 500p dob wheelbarrow ideas?

Hi all,

I'm looking to add a wheelbarrow attachment to my Stargate 500p dob base so I can roll the mirror and GOTO cradle assembly as one unit into the back of my van with some heavy duty loading ramps I bought this summer. 

Otherwise I have to disconnect the GOTO drive cable, remove the counter weights, split the mirror unit from the cradle, load one section at a time, then the reverse on site, plus rethread and retension the GOTO cable which takes some doing at night.

Loading this as one unit and rolling it out onsite is a massive timesaver and definite back saver. Probably in the 70kg range for the base unit and mirror, plus counterweights, and very bulky.

This way I just need to pop in the truss rods and tophat on site and I'm basically ready.

Problem is, the Stargate assembly has no obvious attachment points for a fork and would need to pass under the entire rig, versus a traditional dob mount with forks on the side.

Any ideas? I wanted to weld a bracket underneath but the material looks cast, so that's above my pay grade. 

I though about removing the feet and replacing them with wheeled castors, but I need to use 10" or preferable 14" pneumatic tyres, otherwise it will be too harsh to roll around.

Has anyone tackled this? Any and all ideas welcome! (within reason, haha)

Clear skies all.

CA385-1-2.jpg

Skywatcher-Dobson-telescope-N-508-2000-Stargate-500P-Synscan-GoTo-DOB.jpg

28 minutes ago, bingevader said:

Would some kind of trolley truck fit the bill? :)

That's what I was initially thinking, but didn't want to have to tilt it very far. A four wheeled truck would still require lifting the assembly on top. If I find some suitable box section perhaps I could run that underneath, but need a way to keep it from slipping out, unless I bolt both runners together. I've two weeks off in September so will have to make something soon, unless I stay in the same place, but will probably be chasing clear skies, haha.