NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Telescope+eyepiece for wide nebulas?

Hello,
  What is the best combination of telescope and eyepiece to observe objects such as the North America nebula, Gamma cygni nebula or the Veil nebula, in Cygnus?
In this case I mean being able to get a vision of the whole set, not of enlarged parts.
best regards.
Tico

You will need a combination that delivers a true field of view of 3.5 - 4 degrees.

For me this is my Vixen ED 102mm F/6.5 refractor combined with a 31mm Nagler or 40mm Aero ED eyepiece. And a decent UHC or O-III filter helps a lot as well.

Scopes that have a focal length of 500mm - 700mm combined with a 2 inch format eyepiece of 30mm focal length or longer will deliver that very large true field. And a 2 inch format filter of course to enhance the contrast of the nebulosity.

Another combination that would do it would be an ST80 refractor plus a 1.25" 24mm 68 degree eyepiece (eg: the Explore Scientific 24mm 68). Then you can use a 1.25" filter.

Yet another option would be one of the 100mm F/4 newtonians such as the Skywatcher Heritage 100. The eyepiece and filter requirement would be the same as the ST80 refractor.

You could substitute the 24mm 68 degree eyepiece with a 32mm plossl which might keep the cost a little lower. I'd probably try and stick with the 24mm / 68 degree eyepiece with the 100mm F/4 newtonian though.

• Like 5

Hello again,

Thanks John, with this combination "I'd probably try and stick with the 24mm / 68 degree eyepiece with the 100mm F/4 newtonian though. " how much field can we get?

regards,

Tico