SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Equinox 120: First & Second Lights

A McEwan

Hi Scott,

I, like many, considered the question of the 120ED vs. 127ED. Basically the question is budget doublet vs. budget triplet. To make the former a good performer is far easier than the latter. Therefore you'll get a greater variety of quality in a triplet than you will in a doublet.

Meade do more thorough quality checks than the other re-sellers of the 127ED, but still there have been reports of bad Meade 127EDs. The 120ED has a better track record.

In short, some 127EDs will be better than 120EDs, others worse. You pays your money, you takes your chance. Obviously, buying new from a reputable dealer will protect you if you get a lemon. I could only afford to buy second hand, so I went with the safe bet, and I haven't looked back - the 120ED is a superb scope ;)

Cheers

Andrew

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great review. Darn it, I have still to meet one of these. I have the other budget five inch, the Meade 127, and would like to compare them. I very much doubt that in visual use there would be much to choose between your scope and any premium apo at any price. Your mount looks great, too. I have never seen one of these either.

Olly, if I have room I'll bring my ED120 when I come over, we can have it alongside you Meade.

Ant, is your mount a GP or a GPDX? I sold a GPDX on a uni 18 tripod a couple of years ago and have always regretted it.

Archived