NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Whats the difference??

Hi,

In relation to my earlier posts, is there much difference between the explorer 150p and the explorer 150PL, apart from the length, PL is f8 and the P is f5 would these differences be that noticable to a novice?

3 minutes ago, AKB said:

These different focal lengths would give you a different magnification and field of view for any given eyepiece.  So, yes, quite some difference. 

So which one would be better?

Speaking generally, the F/8 would be better for viewing the planets, the moon and double stars and the F/5 would be a better deep sky scope because it can show a wider field of view.

The F/5 scope does not need quite such a heavy duty mount to hold it steady. Colimation is more forgiving in an F/8 newtonian and lower cost eyepieces perform slightly better at F/8 than they do at F/5.

The f8 would be better on planets. It has less coma, less curvature of the focal plane and can be made with a smaller secondary (not sure if this is actually done), which means a smaller central obstruction.

The f5 gives wider views with less magnification using the same eyepieces and would be more of a rich field telescope.

Depends what you want to view/image.   I’m afraid that “it depends” will be the answer to many question you may have!

To help decide, you should try out some different options with a field-of-view calculator such as

http://astronomy.tools/calculators/field_of_view/

or

http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fovcalc.php

Tony

Edited by AKB
  • Like 1