Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Avalon M-Uno questions

kookoo_gr

I have been thinking in upgrading my heq5-pro for quite some time and i am leaning towards the Avalon m-uno for my RC8'' and ed80 scope. I have browsed avalon's site, read a few reviews which are a few years old, even though they are praising the mount but nothing new (eg 1 or 2 years ago). But before i ask avalon i would like if anyone can give me an on-hands experience with the mount and answer me a couple of questions.

1. For my equipment i use 13.5V/5A, would this voltage be enough for the mount?

2. What integration does the mount have with other software? I use eqmod (duh), Cartes du ciel and SGPro with future thought of using Indilib/Ekos.

3. I use a mini pc which i connect via wifi hotspot to my samsung tablet, i know there two versions a wifi and a bluetooth one, one with use with android and the other with ios, what are the connection options to a pc? And for that matter how do you operate the mount?

4. I image with an atik 383l+, atik efw2, sx-lodestar will i need any extensions for the scopes i have (from what i saw i may need for the ed80) or any extra counterweights for my rc8''?

Sorry if my questions are a bit basic or don't make sense but i haven't found any other operational information for this mount or any manual for that matter in order to have a more compete picture

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I have an Uno. I'm a relative newby to astrophotography having previously owned an heq 5 that I could never get to work properly. I'm glad to say the Uno always works properly :) I took it to France a month ago and had around 6 -7 clear nights where it didn't miss a beat. It's a pleasure to use. I don't regret spending the money on it - its superbly well made. 

I previously used it with win10 partitioned on a macbook pro and have recently purchased a Prime Luca labs Eagle 3 mini computer and power distributer which it works very well with.

Stargo software is easy to get the hang of and works with sgp pro etc very well. Customer support is very good; Luciano gets back to you personally (I think he's the md of the company). When I had a software problem with SGP they sent me a patch to fix it (they had also experienced the same problem).

The mount comes with its own power supply, You can put 240 volts in to it, which I do, or alternatively 12volts which it will step up to around 15 which it works best at.

It seems remarkably immune to mediocre guiding - even with rms >1 I never get star trails on an ed80.

Even with my small scope i had to buy the dec riser so that the scope/camera/filter wheel sits above the back of the mount. This pulls the weight away from the central axis but balancing is usually achievable as the single arm is adjustable and moves to and away from the central axis depending on what size of scope you have. It has two dec axis so you can also put something on the other axis to serve as a counterbalance.

Cheers