NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron C8 Model designation advise REQUEST

Hello All,

Does anyone know if there are different Celestron 8" SCT designations, perhaps due to manufacturing dates???

I'm looking at getting another 8" SCT and basically want the most recently manufactured scope I can get... basically trying to avoid a OTA that a warehouse might have had in storage for "5 years".

I came across scopes for sale labeled as Celestron C8S and another place labels them as C8A... both are Starbright XLT coated, both look the same, both have the same model numbers (91020 and 91024) both otherwise look the same and both are exactly the same price.

The shop that has them labeled as C8S has a few that have the Fastar compatible secondary mirror and others that are not and I'm not sure if that the case with the C8A shop, but the images on the page show a OTA with Fastar also, Is there any difference between the C8A and C8S, and would there be any degradation of the mirror reflectivity if it was in storage for a exended time like 3 or 5 years but didnt see any light? Now I do not know if they were indeed stored for so long so just asking hypethically on this matter but the C8S/A models has me wondering whether one is a older generation than another.

TIA,

MG

Edited by MarsG76

This may help: https://www.scopereviews.com/C8History.html

C8 SCTs have been manufactured for nearly 50 years, and some people are still using the older ones.   Recently we had a thread from the owner of a 30 year old example who took it apart and cleaned the mirror (to the horror of some respondents). Reportedly the SCT was fine afterwards...

My own C8 (with Starbright XLT coating) could be at least 5 years old, and it's OK.  So I wouldn't worry about the mirror degrading if I were you.

On the other hand, it seems that vintage C8's from some years are of poor optical quality and best avoided - see the History and elsewhere.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

This may help: https://www.scopereviews.com/C8History.html

C8 SCTs have been manufactured for nearly 50 years, and some people are still using the older ones.   Recently we had a thread from the owner of a 30 year old example who took it apart and cleaned the mirror (to the horror of some respondents). Reportedly the SCT was fine afterwards...

My own C8 (with Starbright XLT coating) could be at least 5 years old, and it's OK.  So I wouldn't worry about the mirror degrading if I were you.

On the other hand, it seems that vintage C8's from some years are of poor optical quality and best avoided - see the History and elsewhere.

I understand and I read the fact that some SCT tend to last 30 years and longer... I was wondering about the C8S and C8A designation.. both a StarBright XLT and are sold as brand new... just curious... I'm sure that if I got either, there would be no difference in its operation.

17 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

Dovetail bar width? There seem to be two options.

No.. Both are available numbered 91020-XLT with CG5 and 91024-XLT with CGE dovetail bar... I'm starting to think that C8S is a typo since even Celestron website has it as C8-A and no mention of C8S or C8-S.

Edited by MarsG76

1 hour ago, dweller25 said:

Perhaps contacting the “s” shop may help clarify the code ?

I did that initially.. they didn't have an answer.. but they did say that they had the scope for about 3 years, but this would mean that they are the last generation before the EdgeHD so they have to be C8-A XLT.... All I can do is go for a ride and check it out in person....

It’s not a typo - there is a C8-S and a C8-A

I suspect the S was packaged with an equatorial mount and the A was OTA only.

Possibly both OTA’s are the same ?

Would suggest you ask Celestron......

Edited by dweller25
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dweller25 said:

It’s not a typo - there is a C8-S and a C8-A

I suspect the S was packaged with an equatorial mount and the A was OTA only.

Possibly both OTA’s are the same ?

Would suggest you ask Celestron......

That makes sense... thanks