NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Newbie help, Celestron NexStar 6 SLT or  Skywatcher Star Discovery P150i

Hi :)

I'm new here and new to telescopes and looking for some help deciding between these two telescopes:

Celestron NexStar 6 SLT or 

Skywatcher Star Discovery P150i.

I'm trying to get something fairly easy to use when it comes to both mount and overall weight, which is why I've ruled out a dobsonian for now. It's important for me that I get something that I'll be able to take out and back in by myself so that I don't bother my husband every time I want to use my telescope.

I would like to be able to see some deep sky objects too and not just the moon and planets, and I think a Goto would be good for me.

I do own a 10inch Newtonian already (which was gifted to me) but I'm struggling with it's mount. I was told it's a German equatorial mount but was not shown how to use it. I find it very difficult to move it exactly as I want to when trying to look for objects in the night sky, and it is also extremely heavy and impossible for me to take outside by myself.

I am therefore looking for something a bit more straightforward to begin with that will still provide good views, allow me to transport it myself and be a bit easier to get into.

I narrowed it down to those two telescopes above but am open to ideas. Ideally I'd like to keep it at around £500 - 600.

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks :)

• Like 1

Get AZ GTi wifi mount + either 127 mak or 5" sct. Both are easy to live with and provide great views. Especially the 127 mak + AZ GTi combo is really good and within your budget. What is left of that 600 add a few Pounds and get Baader zoom and you are sorted with everything.

Edited by heliumstar

I have a Nexstar SLT 127mm Mak (5")  and based on my experience with this I suspect that the new 6 SLT is pushing the limits of the mount.  Is the SLT6 a WiFi? Do you really want that or would you prefer the more reliable option of a handset?  The 6" telescope is also available in the form of the 6SE, which is a more sturdy mount but also a lot more expensive. There is also the 6" Nexstar Evolution, which clearly costs more than you are prepared to pay but represents a proper mount for this scope.

The Star Discovery 150p is a 6" Newtonian, but it  is a lightweight budget version.  You get a GoTo mount, but AFAIK this is also a WiFi mount. (If one is being cynical, this saves the makers the cost of supplying a handset).

Neither of your provisional telescopes is awful, but also consider the 127mm Mak, which you can get with various mounts.  The Celestron SLT version has easy to use software and a handset.  I still like my Mak and get it out quite often, despite now having bigger telescopes.  If you get the Mak or one of the SCT designs like the 6 SLT, you have the option of putting it on different mounts at some later date.  With the Star Discovery it is more likely that you'd change the whole outfit IMHO.

I can understand why you don't get on with a large Newtonian on a German equatorial mount - this combination is notoriously user-unfriendly, and after a brief encounter with an 8" example I bought a C8 SE to replace it.

• Like 1

+1 for the 127mm Mak. This is my Skywatcher Skymax 127, with Synscan GoTo handset, in a portable form. With 2 sets of batteries, and a few eyepieces, the whole lot weighs about 11kg.

130551241_SkymaxBackpack-Annotated(R).jpg.5bb4cb5672c6ca95abc8d83db3c1e268.jpg

My Cosmos 90 has essentially the same mount, but uses WiFi and an App. on my tablet. However, when looking through the eyepiece, I find the "real" buttons on the Synscan handset much easier to use, than the "virtual" ones on the tablet's touchscreen.

I liked the Skymax so much, that I bought a second one for my holiday home in France.

1769500628_Skymax127MCTinFrance(R).jpg.d5786e6056a288af11bf77c502af0c27.jpg

Geoff