Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Does it need a rest between exposures - my test

This thread got me really thinking although I stated when I do dark frames of 20 seconds on a 5 minute sub, I had never actually looked at any of my dark frames because there was no amp glow in any of my stacked images.

I do all my stacking in DSS which creates a masterdark which is then applied to any image you are stacking.

Here's a masterdark of 21 x 5 minute exposures with 20 seconds between each exposure:

MasterDark_ISO800_300s.jpg

And here's a rather horrible looking single dark from that batch:

Dark_ISO800_300s.jpg

I was horrified when I saw this until I looked at the masterdark that DSS creates. So I'm presuming now that no cooldown is actually needed between dark frames because DSS actually gets rid of the ampglow.

I'd be interested in other ppls comments and test images, when I get time I'll do some further testing and post some comparison shots.

BTW there's an interesting site here that analyses DSLR noise etc

I use a 400D and the shots below are 20 minute subs.

The dark is only the second in the sequence, but the light is the seventh.

I use nebulosity and i have 0 seconds set as a time interval. But there is maybe a 20 second delay in between shots.

darkev1.jpg

lightgt2.jpg

Archived