NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Laptop screen (red tint)

Portech7

Hi all

As I haven't got the luxury of being able to have my laptop indoors when using it for imaging I've been thinking of ways to mod the screen so it can be used outdoors and doesn't harm night sight.

So I tried using some thin matt red translucent plastic (used to be a plastic envelope of sorts) which I cut to size, then stuck some velcro to it and too the laptop screen rim. Being velcro the tint can be easily removed or reapplied as required.

I find it works well. Being an envelope it is double layered and if cut well I found i can lift one layer up (if needed) whilst still having some red tint albeit thinner.

I tried acetate but I found it didn't work as well. 

The bit of reflection on the image is due to the camera, can't see any where near as much with naked eye and the screen is very clear to see.

Probably not suitable for everyone but I find it a nice cheap and cheerful fix so far😀 . 

20190702_145122.jpg

Edited by Portech7
Additional info added

I bought piece of this a few years ago...

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/misc/starsharp-red-filter-for-laptop-screens.html

Cobbled together a hook to put it over the top of the screen I use in the obsy.
No software involved and a good supplement to the (sometimes limited) brightness/colour options on the computer.
Easily lifted off for day use.

David.

• Like 1