NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC 6992 HO using OSC camera - WIP

Star101

Last night we had some clear skies for the two hours of darkness, even if the moon rose around midnight.

I decided on the Eastern Viel Nebula, NGC 6992 as it was already high enough to image. Nothing more :)

C11 with Hyperstar, Atik 4120EX OSC camera and Baader f/2 High Speed Narrowband 2" filters

I had setup the C11 with Hyeprstar a few nights ago. The Atik 4120EX already sat there waiting. I slew to NGC 6992 and took a 30 second sub at f/2. The viel was very faint even at 4x Bin. S0, I decided to try slipping a OIII between the Hyperstar and the camera. I could see there was a better chance. I set up for 300s subs. After 12 Subs, U replaced the OIII with a Ha. I checked all was running OK and went to bed :)

Just a quick check. I processed in Pixinsight. Although this is a one shot colour camera, I processed the Ha and OIII images separately.  Split the RGB and took the R from the Ha and G from the OIII images. The recombined the two images as HOO to produce this.

I also imaged with the ZWO 183mm Ha and OIII on the TS65Q at the same time but yet to process.

Clouds spoilt a few subs and sunlight too 😎

12 x 300s OIII

15 x 300s Ha

Camera  ATIK 4120EX OSC

Scope  C11 with Hyperstar ( f/2)

Guided using TS65Q with Lodestar X2 on ZWO OAG.

Mount Mesu 200

Processed in Pixinsight

Thanks for looking.

Viel Nebula final A sig.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

What about using the blue channel from the OIII filter as well? I don't know the bandpasses of your particular Bayer matrix but OIII lies on the blue-green borderline. I add OIII to green and blue.

Olly

This was a quick process Olly, Not sure if I did use the OIII in the Blue and just not say here, but now you mention it, I will go back and check.  

Final attempt with this until I get more data :)

As you may be aware, I took two versions of this object. This one, C11 Hyperstar, OSC Atik 4120EX colour with High speed Ha and O3 filters. Resulting image shown above. I also took the same image using TS65EQ and ZWO ASI183MM Pro with Ha and O3 filters.

Here, I have combined the two images using NBRGB Combination in  Pixinsight. This should really be called Mono HaO3 and Colour HaO3 :) But hey, its just fun :)

I'm undecided on the outcome to be honest.

The ASI 183 camera took 15 x Ha and 12 x O3. Image can be found here

Thanks for looking

HaO3RGBCombination FINAL2.jpg

Edited by Star101
spelin misteak
  • Like 1