NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ZWO ASI071 or not?

Hi

I run with a ASI1600MM-C and Filter Wheel. That is the way for Narrowband.

For LRGB Imaging the total exposure time in european weather circumstances is often a problem and the ASI1600MM allows no binning with 12bit for imaging.

Am I right to go for a CMOS Color Camera, like the ASI071MC to get shorter total exposure times ?

Thanks for your experiences,

Ed

7 minutes ago, Scorpi said:

Hi

I run with a ASI1600MM-C and Filter Wheel. That is the way for Narrowband.

For LRGB Imaging the total exposure time in european weather circumstances is often a problem and the ASI1600MM allows no binning with 12bit for imaging.

Am I right to go for a CMOS Color Camera, like the ASI071MC to get shorter total exposure times ?

Thanks for your experiences,

Ed

No I would think that your total intergration time would be lower on the ASI1600mm-c. 

Mono is faster than OSC and the ASI1600mm-c is lower noise that the ASI071mc-pro 

You will not be able to take luminance subs with a OSC and even discounting that huge advantage to mono RGB imaging will still be slower. 

The only thing that would save you time is a duel scope setup....but even then you would be better off with a second mono camera. 

Adam 

It depends.

For same imaging time, mono in LRGB or even RGB only will produce better results than OSC. Question is what sort of "time under stars" are we talking about.

If you want to do very quick session of 1h or less, there is a chance that OSC will produce better results. This is due to the fact that OSC is pretty much "point and shoot". There is no filter change and associated refocusing, there is only one set of flats to take, etc ...

If your setup requires flats after each filter change (like filter drawer, or filter wheel that is not accurate enough) and you use filters/scope that benefits from refocusing on filter change, than in mentioned one hour you can loose as much as 20mins on doing all of that. You will end up with 10 minutes per channel vs full hour per OSC.

On the other hand, if your session is longer and there is no need for interrupting activities (small compared to total imaging time) - LRGB + mono will certainly produce better results for the same total time.

Btw ASI1600 can be binned in a number of ways - all of them done in processing stage and not while capturing.

I have both the 1600 and the 071. I only use the 1600 for narrowband.

While most will tell you mono is faster i find the opposite as there's more to go wrong and for me it often did. I love the simplicity of osc cameras and i always end up with full colour data to play with if my session is cut short.