Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Fitting a Celestron Focus Motor to an Edge HD 8

fwm891

First a big thanks to FLO (ordered yesterday, arrived this morning - fitted👍 ).

Simple. For once I followed the instructions and everything went well. From removing the old rubber focuser adjustment knob and flange to fitting the motorised focuser. All required tools were in the box although I found the cross head screwdriver a bit short so used one of my own. I was expecting the shaft grub/locking screw (socket headed) to tighten sooner than it did but that really was the only bit giving me any concerns.

I downloaded and installed the software from FLO's product page before connecting the focuser and re-booted the laptop. I'll be using this with a non-Celestron mount so opted for the Ascom driver (newest dated). Plugged in a 12VDC supply and USB lead to the laptop, opened the Celestron software, connected and hit calibrate. Calibration took a few minutes as the focuser drove from one extreme to the other and back to it's original position.

I then played sending it to different numbered positions. More seriously I looked a the backlash settings and ended up with a '5' setting. The white indicator on the focuser makes watching for instant motion very easy.

So need to try this in anger at some stage...

I'll update once I have a chance.

• Like 2