NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Autoguider Cable

I'm looking for a cable to connect my laptop COMM port to my Skywatcher stepper motor hand controller via the ST4 port, using the ASCOM and  EQMOD programs. First of all, is this possible and secondly, where can I find a cable. 

22 hours ago, warpout said:

I'm looking for a cable to connect my laptop COMM port to my Skywatcher stepper motor hand controller via the ST4 port, using the ASCOM and  EQMOD programs. First of all, is this possible and secondly, where can I find a cable. 

Is this a non-goto mount with the basic dual axis motors ? If so you will need a USB-ST4 adapter like this , a USB cable and a ST4 cable. The ascom platform plus the ascom driver for the adapter (probably supplied on CD or available from ZWO) are required but not EQMod. EQMod is only for Synscan goto mounts. In your autoguiding software select the camera type and the ZWO USBST4 (ascom) for mount type. If your guide camera has its own guide port then you only require a ST4 cable.

Hello Cornelius Varley, yes, my 'scope is non go-to, just SkyWatcher dual axis motors and hand controller. This could be what I'm looking for. Would this work using Stellarium from my laptop because I don't possess a guide camera. 

Regards

Clive

1 hour ago, warpout said:

Hello Cornelius Varley, yes, my 'scope is non go-to, just SkyWatcher dual axis motors and hand controller. This could be what I'm looking for. Would this work using Stellarium from my laptop because I don't possess a guide camera. 

Regards

Clive

No, the ST4 port on the handset is for autoguiding not for controlling the mount through Stellarium.  The image stream from the guide camera is monitored by the autoguiding software which then sends commands back to the mount to correct for drift. This is called a feedback loop. The software sees the drifting guide star and continually makes corrections to the mount (at slow speed) to keep the guide star centred. This is something that Stellarium doesn't do. Stellarium and similar programmes send commands to a goto mount to move it (at high speeds) to a position in the sky which it believes matches the computer model, the mount then returns to normal speed. After that it doesn't send any more commands until a new target is selected.

Thanks Cornelius, I was hoping it was going to be so simple. If I do decide to go down the guide camera route, is there one you can recommend ( and the set up), hopefully not too expensive. I really appreciate your advice. 

Regards

Clive

Archived