NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M87 - with well hidden jet

Datalord

I saw someone post a picture of the black hole jet and figured it would be fun to try to capture it myself. As I was capturing the subs, it was very, very clear in the individual subs, but somehow it drowned a bit in the stacking and processing. It is interesting to me that the jet is more prominent in blue and green subs, while a tiny bit more faint in the red. Maybe it is because it is drowned out in the red, but nevertheless, interesting.

Acquisition:

• Everything shot in Bin 2.
  • Shot from E-Eye
  • R: 55 * 180s
  • G: 51 * 180s
  • B: 52 * 180s
  • L: 29 * 600s
  • 12h 40min total integration
  • Flats, darks, bias

Gear:

• CFF RC12"
  • Celestron CGX
  • Moravian G3-16200
  • Lodestar X2 guide
  • Baader LRGB filters

Processing:

• PI all the way through MLT.
  • PS for final touches, selective denoise and sharpen and fixing the largest star blow outs.

M87_1.thumb.jpg.6614867bf0bfb72cd392cc911c6fe2b9.jpg

Here is a screenshot of the individual subs nuked in PI.

image.png.5e3b4191963f15bece65ae8067b57690.png

Very nice..   to get the jet to show in the stretched image you can use a curve  stretch with just the lower bit raised..  ie a straight line with an upwards bump on the lower 25% or so using the picker to set the appropriate points, then just use this as a layer over M87

Archived