Western Veil

Rodd

I found this data on my hard drive-I never processed more than the Ha due to only having 4 OIII subs.  I decided to give it another try, hoping that my processing had improved to the point where I could get something passable out of it.  I lost some FOV due to poor framing, and the OIII subs could only be calibrated with a master dark--the flats were lost with my external hard drive.

TOA 130 with .7x reducer and STT 8300 with 3nm Astrodon filters

Ha: 9 30 min

OIII: 4 30 min

Image14L.thumb.jpg.1d34a79f21341ded48b8aee80df7e841.jpg

3 hours ago, souls33k3r said:

Slightly noisy but mate will take nothing away from your processing skills. Absolutely stunning mate. 

Thanks. Yeah the noise is pervasive 

6 hours ago, souls33k3r said:

Slightly noisy but mate will take nothing away from your processing skills. Absolutely stunning mate. 

Cleaned it up a bit--not perfect.  I have trouble with bicolor anyway--and this one has only 4 subs of OIII.  So Tough for me.

Image23fc.thumb.jpg.83eb4336a2889197a5826bb93c31ed48.jpg

9 minutes ago, Rodd said:

Cleaned it up a bit--not perfect.  I have trouble with bicolor anyway--and this one has only 4 subs of OIII.  So Tough for me.

Image23fa.thumb.jpg.c81b6f5abc0d71de6ed0a0ecea33db6e.jpg

Eek!!! You call that a bit? Dang mate! You've cleaned it all :D I swear if you hadn't mentioned 4 subs, no one would've noticed it :D what did you use for noise reduction and sharpening? 

2 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

Eek!!! You call that a bit? Dang mate! You've cleaned it all :D I swear if you hadn't mentioned 4 subs, no one would've noticed it :D what did you use for noise reduction and sharpening? 

The only thing I did to the first image I posted was mask off the nebula and use a pixel math formula that removes “mottling” in background. It works pretty well. The I dropped the black point just a bit because the pixel math formula tends to lighten the background (kind of normalizes it so it can get a bit brighter)

12 hours ago, souls33k3r said:

I think this is a bit better-more realistic

Image14i.thumb.jpg.ce31da829fca909ed3d36dcbe8313666.jpg

I was able to upsample so the image is closer to its Bin1 size (I had software binned 2x2 due to the noise)-so full resolution will be much larger.  This is the final image upsampled, slight boost in red and sharpened

Image14L.thumb.jpg.aa1b747feec462be71d5d7812ad396cd.jpg

Archived