NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Oddly shaped stars and count numbers

So I finally got my OAG and tested it, and now I have a new problem.

the stars now look like a "light coming out of a torch" I don't know how to describe it, you can see it in this picture:

https://i.imgur.com/XPraFtD.jpg

the focus is the best I can get, I used bahtinov mask, and used the HFR tool in SGP. can't get any better.

also this "star shape" happen even in a very short exp (5 secs) so it's not tracking or guiding issue.

I'm not sure what causes this, it shows up even in 1x1 or 4x4 binning. 

my setup was:

EdgeHD 8" at 2032 F10 so without Focal Reducer. 

backfocus was 133mm

help me out please. thanks

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Amajed

Your image shows the result of tilt somewhere in the image train.

Check the connections between the camera, OAG and visual back.

Ideally all the parts will be screwed together with threaded adaptors. 

If you have to use push-fit connectors make sure they are not a sloppy fit, as illustrated in the exaggerated picture below. A  slight 'droop' or sag, in the assembled components of the image chain will result in smeared stars that have the appearance of coma that increases in magnitude across the full frame.

If your SCT has a mirror lock make sure the mirror lock is applied after focusing because mirror sag, or droop, will cause the same effect and will vary with changing angles of AZ and ALT (or RA and DEC if using a wedge).

If using push fit components to attach the camera and OAG to the visual back and they are loose you can wrap a thin sheet of hard-plastic packaging film around the push fit connector to take up some of the slop but beware that the camera may slide out of the push fit connector when doing this and it requires a safety lanyard to attach the camera to the telescope so that it can not accidentally fall to the floor.

The usual culprit for a sloppy connection is the safety undercut in the barrel of camera nosepieces as they often allow the nosepiece to deflect out-of-line when the clamping screw is tightened.

HTH

Tilt.jpg.ac51ed05b53e4e5c8691a68509bcc995.jpg

17 minutes ago, Oddsocks said:

Hi Amajed

Your image shows the result of tilt somewhere in the image train.

Check the connections between the camera, OAG and visual back.

Ideally all the parts will be screwed together with threaded adaptors. 

If you have to use push-fit connectors make sure they are not a sloppy fit, as illustrated in the exaggerated picture below. A  slight 'droop' or sag, in the assembled components of the image chain will result in smeared stars that have the appearance of coma that increases in magnitude across the full frame.

If your SCT has a mirror lock make sure the mirror lock is applied after focusing because mirror sag, or droop, will cause the same effect and will vary with changing angles of AZ and ALT (or RA and DEC if using a wedge).

If using push fit components to attach the camera and OAG to the visual back and they are loose you can wrap a thin sheet of hard-plastic packaging film around the push fit connector to take up some of the slop but beware that the camera may slide out of the push fit connector when doing this and it requires a safety lanyard to attach the camera to the telescope so that it can not accidentally fall to the floor.

The usual culprit for a sloppy connection is the safety undercut in the barrel of camera nosepieces as they often allow the nosepiece to deflect out-of-line when the clamping screw is tightened.

HTH

Tilt.jpg.ac51ed05b53e4e5c8691a68509bcc995.jpg

Thanks, all my components are screw, nothing is push fit. also my picture shows the same shape across the whole image, if it's tilt, it shouldn't be that, right?

is it collimation?

Archived